Resources for Insurance Companies
Insurance company membership has grown at a rapid rate as firms increasingly recognize the value of FHLBank Boston products and services. Our team of experts and prominent industry specialists share their opinions about the advantages of being a member.
Membership Overview for Insurers
To learn about the benefits of FHLBank Boston membership, please view these slides or contact Matt Stewart, vice president, director of sales.
Funding Strategies for Insurance Companies
FHLBank Boston offers an expansive line of products and services and provides you with solutions and strategies to help you maximize your membership. View our webinar to explore funding strategies.
Opportunities for Insurers with FHLBanks
Read what well-respected investment management firms have to say about the value of FHLBank membership below:
Voya Investment Management explains how to increase returns using FHLBank funding in this white paper, "Utilizing FHLB for Insurance Portfolio Management to Drive Risk-Adjusted Returns." The firm's head of insurance portfolio management also joined FHLBank Boston for this webinar to explain how insurers can add durable, low-cost external leverage to lower-volatility assets via advances to enhance risk-adjusted return potential.
In this article, New England Asset Management (NEAM) provides insight on how the Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLBank) System continues its track record of providing liquidity to its insurance company members through various market conditions.
Fort Washington examines how using a spread-based borrowing program to invest low-cost FHLBank advances in higher earning assets can generate a target rate of return on captial in this piece.
Enhancing Investment Yield and Total Return
In Wellington Management's white paper, "Loans from Federal Home Loan Banks: An Opportunity for U.S. Insurers to Enhance Investment Yield and Total Return," the investment firm discusses how FHLBanks lend to insurers at very competitive rates and provides examples of customized investment solutions that capitalize on these advantages.
How Insurers Use FHLBanks
Conning is a leading investment management firm with a long history of serving the insurance industry. Conning has provided a viewpoint that discuss the advantages of borrowing through FHLBank programs. Of equal value is Conning’s strategy alert article Portfolio Income Opportunities Amid Market Distress.
Boost Commercial Mortgage Returns Using FHLBank Boston Advances
Learn how investing in commercial mortgage assets can boost returns. Read MetLife Investment Management’s article Opportunities and Avenues here.
Our list of insurance company members is growing and includes:
- A.I.M. Mutual Insurance Company
- Aetna Life Insurance Company
- Alliance of Nonprofits for Insurance, RRG
- American European Insurance Company
- American Excess Insurance Exchange, RRG
- Amica Life Insurance Company
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- Arbella Mutual Insurance Company
- Aspen American Insurance Company
- Aspen Specialty Insurance Company
- Barnstable County Mutual Insurance Company
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts HMO Blue, Inc.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Inc.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont
- Citizens Insurance Company of America
- Commonwealth Annuity and Life Insurance Company
- Community Hospital Alternative for Risk Transfer (A Reciprocal RRG)
- Connecticut Attorneys Title Insurance Company
- Coverys RRG, Inc.
- Danbury Insurance Company
- Depositors Insurance Fund
- Dorchester Mutual Insurance Company
- Empower Annuity Insurance Company
- Fallon Community Health Plan, Inc.
- Farmers Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- First Allmerica Financial Life Insurance Company
- Fitchburg Mutual Insurance Company
- Hartford Fire Insurance Company
- Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Inc.
- Hingham Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Hospitality Mutual Insurance Company
- Housing Authority Property Insurance, A Mutual Company
- Housing Authority Risk Retention Group, Inc.
- ICI Mutual Insurance Company, RRG
- Integris Insurance Company
- Ironshore Specialty Insurance Company
- Lexington Insurance Company
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Maine Employers’ Mutual Insurance Company
- Massachusetts Credit Union Share Insurance Corporation
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
- MCIC Vermont (A Reciprocal RRG)
- Medical Professional Mutual Insurance Company
- MEMIC Casualty Company
- MEMIC Indemnity Company
- Merit Life Insurance Company
- MMG Insurance Company
- Narragansett Bay Insurance Company
- Nassau Life and Annuity Company
- Nassau Life Insurance Company
- National Life Insurance Company
- New London County Mutual Insurance Company
- Norfolk and Dedham Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Peerless Insurance Company
- PHL Variable Insurance Company
- Quincy Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Safeco Insurance Company of America
- Safety Insurance Company
- Savings Bank Mutual Life Insurance Company of Massachusetts
- Starmount Life Insurance Company
- Talcott Resolution Life & Annuity Insurance Company
- Talcott Resolution Life Insurance Company
- The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company
- The Commerce Insurance Company
- The Hanover Insurance Company
- The Ohio Casualty Insurance Company
- Union Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- United Educators Insurance, A Reciprocal RRG
- Unum Life Insurance Company of America
- Vantis Life Insurance Company
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Company
- Voya Retirement Insurance and Annuity Company
- Yosemite Insurance Company
Benefits of Membership
Membership in the cooperative offers you a wide variety of products and services.
See which financial institutions are FHLBank Boston members.