August 17, 2022
Peer Analysis and Balance Sheet Strategies Update
The first part of 2022 has seen a significant rise in short-term rates as well as increased volatility in long-term rates and spreads. The historic excess liquidity conditions from the last two years appear to be reversing, leading to challenges and opportunities wholly different than just a few months ago. For banks and credit unions, this has had a considerable impact on asset deployment, funding decisions, and the overall composition of the balance sheet.
Join us on Wednesday, August 17 at 11:00 a.m. for a 45-minute webinar to hear an in-depth analysis of what is occurring on FHLBank Boston depository member balance sheets and review important trends in the capital markets and the economy.
Topics that will be discussed include:
- What effect Fed rate hikes will have, specifically on deposit pricing, retention, and growth
- The implications in the shifts in the level and shape of the yield curve, and what impact quantitative tightening may have
- Changing dynamics in the mortgage loan and mortgage-backed securities markets
- Relevant economic trends occurring nationally and within New England
- Key takeaways from the 2022 second quarter call reports of FHLBank Boston members
- How banks and credit unions are dealing with normalizing liquidity conditions as loans grow, deposits stall, and investments linger in unrealized loss positions
- What increased interest-rate volatility means for opportunties on both sides of the balance sheet
- Trends in capital metrics and credit performance
- Lending, investment, and funding strategies to employ looking forward
About the presenters: As the vice president, director of member strategies and solutions at FHLBank Boston, Andrew Paolillo leads the strategies team in creating customized funding strategies for members. Andrew has experience as a portfolio manager, trader, and analyst, and is well-versed in developing asset liability management (ALCO) strategies tailored to financial institutions’ needs.
Sean Carraher joined FHLBank Boston in 2022 as a senior financial strategist and employs data-driven techniques to help us better understand member needs and develop strategies and solutions to help them more effectively manage their balance sheets. Sean has more than two decades of experience in banking and financial analysis having served as treasurer at two different member banks.